Sunday, March 21, 2010

Blazing Star Lamp

I wanted to make some sort of light feature for the Blazing Star Stables. I decided to make a star paper lantern. Origami has never been my forte. I don't think I have the patience for it, but I found a step-by-step guide for making a 3D star that even I could follow.
I added a few steps to make this fit our theme:
  1. I started with black cardstock, but any dark color will work
  2. After I completed cutting and folding the points (but haven't glued them yet), I used spray paint to get a metallic look. I chose a brown hammered finish.
  3. Once the paint had dried, I used a hole punch to make a pattern in the cardstock. I chose a small circle, but any shape or pattern will work great.
  4. Next, I used a glue stick to glue a layer of tissue paper on the inside of the star-points to cover the holes that I had punched.
  5. After completing step four, I followed the guide and glued my folded points together. I used hot-glue to make it stronger
  6. Once each folded point is glued together, I used the guide to hot-glue all the points together. Since I wanted this to light up, I held off on sealing together the final points on the bottom of the star.
  7. Now, how you light the star is up to you. I chose to use Christmas lights. I fed a stream of lights up the points and secured the wires with masking tape. Since this made out of paper and paint, it is flammable, so be careful that your star never gets too hot.


Now you have a blazing star for stables!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Macys Printable Coupons