Monday, May 31, 2010

Quick & Easy Faux Fireplace

I finally finished the faux fireplace for the Bible Study Bunkhouse! It seemed whenever I was about to finish it up, I would run out of hot gluesticks or I would burn myself. Hot glue and I have never really gotten along well. Hot glue problems aside, this is a quick and easy fireplace to make.

How-To
  • First, I took a large cardboard moving box, and cut it down to the size I wanted (I split my box in half). If your box is already the size you want, then just tape it together. After that was completed, I cut the smaller square opening for the front of my fireplace.

  • Next, I cut out a piece of the leftover cardboard to cover the back of my fireplace. I held off on attaching it because I wanted to paint it first. If you left your box intact and did not cut it to make it smaller, this step isn't necessary.
  • I wanted a stone fireplace, so I painted my box various shades of grey. Once that was dry, I painted lines to look like grout between the stones and added some darker shading to the stones. After finishing the front of the fireplace, I painted the piece of cardboard I cut out for the back of the fireplace.
  • After everything was dry, I hot glued the cardboard piece on the back of my fireplace.
  • I cut out another piece of cardboard, so I could make a mantle for the fireplace. I cut it wide enough to cover the top and long enough to have about two and half inches leftover on each side.
  • Then I dry-brushed the cardboard to give it a woodgrain appearance. Once it was dry. I hot glued it onto the top of the fireplace.
  • To make a fire for the fireplace. I took a round piece of cardboard and glued it in the center of a sheet of tissue paper. Then, I just continued to glue layers of red, orange, and yellow sheets of tissue paper on top of each other. Once it was dry, I flipped it over (cardboard side facing up) and scrunched the tissue paper up around the cardboard until I got it the way I wanted it. When it is set up in the classroom, I am going to place several electric tea lights inside, on top of cardboard, to make the fire light up and flicker.
  • I then took some brown paper bags and twisted them into a log shape and took a brown paint pen (or marker) to draw lines to make them appear like logs. I placed these around the fire.
  • When I set it up in the classroom, I will take grey paper and tape it to the wall behind the fireplace to make a chimney.
  • If you want to make the appearance of having soot inside your fireplace, you can take black spray paint a lightly spray it inside your fireplace.

Enjoy your new fireplace for your Bunkhouse!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Macys Printable Coupons